Rapper Jay Sean, who topped charts in 2009, to headline Spring Fling

Photo courtesy of Jay Sean's Facebook page.
Photo courtesy of Jay Sean’s Facebook page.

Updated: Monday, March 24 at 2:08 p.m.

Rapper and singer-songwriter Jay Sean will headline Spring Fling on April 12.

Sean’s debut single in the U.S., “Down,” shot to the top of the charts in 2009. His other successes include “Do You Remember,” “2012” and “I’m All Yours.”

While his singles featuring artists like Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne and Pitbull make him fall more in line with R&B, his recent album “Neon” plays more like a reggae boy band, with love-ballad lyrics, acoustic guitars and swooning solos.

American rock group Wavves and DJs Haile Supreme & Congo Sanchez will open the Program Board-sponsored show in University Yard.

“We’re very excited about our lineup because we tried to incorporate a diverse array of musical styles as a way to attract various aspects of the GW community,” said Jon Carfagno, the Program Board’s executive chair. “We really were able to capture GW’s interest in the music scene and the various genres they represent.”

GW senior Abbay Misganaw, known onstage as Haile Supreme, and D.C.-based producer Jeff Franca, better known as Congo Sanchez, toured together last fall with their DJ group Thievery Corporation. Their sound includes mixes of reggae, soul, psychedelia and freestyle hip-hop, and they have covered artists ranging from Bob Marley to 50 Cent.

“We thought it was really important to showcase new talent, and we wanted to take the opportunity to have a student demonstrate their musical talent,” Carfagno said.

Rock band Waaves, best known for their single “Nine is God,” reflect their California roots with a surf-rock style and pop-inspired beats.

The acts follow Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, who drew thousands to University Yard last year with their hits “Thrift Shop” and “Same Love.” Other past Spring Fling performers include Childish Gambino, Mike Posner, State Radio and Gym Class Heroes.

Tufts University booked Nelly for its spring concert. University of Pennsylvania landed David Guetta as well as indie favorites Ra Ra Riot and Magic Man for its spring concert. Yale University will have former GW Fall Fest star Diplo, and Northeastern University will feature Snoop Dogg.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that Tufts University booked Nelly for its spring concert this year. Nelly actually performed for the school last April. We regret this error.