‘Superdorm’ could feature kosher affinity housing group

The Student Associate Senate approved a bill that would push conversations forward about launching a 20-student affinity housing group centered on kosher eating.

Sen. Mollie Bowman, CCAS-U, said she hopes the kosher affinity group can be part of the “the superdorm” when it opens in 2016.

“I think it will be a huge selling point for prospective students, because schools like BU and NYU have more kosher housing options,” Bowman said.

GW cut back its campus kosher options when the deli Nosh closed over the summer. Since then, J Street has kept a refrigerator stocked with kosher sandwiches and salads there.

But Bowman, who doesn’t keep kosher but knows many friends who do, said students should have more options. She has met with Seth Weinshel, director of housing, and Tim Miller, director of the Center for Student Engagement, and said their response had been positive.

Forty to 50 students keep kosher at GW, Hillel Rabbi Yoni Kaiser-Blueth told The Hatchet in 2012.

She hopes housing committees will continue discussion next year to gather interested students from Jewish student groups on campus.

“There’s four or five different religious Jewish organizations on campus who I think will really support this and want to live there and encourage their members to do so, and none of those groups have housing now,” Bowman said.