How to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in the District

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Ben Marks.

Courtesy of the official Facebook page for McFadden's.
Courtesy of the official Facebook page for McFadden’s.

Bust out your four-leaf clovers and green face paint – Saint Patrick’s Day is here and it’s ending spring break with an Irish bang. All this week, the District will host holiday events that range from traditional parades to heart-pounding concerts. Here are the some of the best ways to celebrate in D.C.

1. ShamrockFest 2014

Tens of thousands of people are expected to descend on RFK Stadium on Saturday for ShamrockFest, a music and games festival that was named the third-best St. Patrick’s Day festival in the country by Beer Taste Magazine. Be sure to get your tickets early and prepare for dozens of artists including American Celtic punk rockers Dropkick Murphys, Carbon Leaf and the Fighting Jamesons. For those of you over 21, there will also be beer trucks spanning the length of two football fields and free pub games with cash prizes.

2. McPattysfest 2014

Head over to McFadden’s on Monday for Caribbean trip giveaways, bagpipers, live music by Jeff from Accounting and, most importantly, an Irish bull ride. McFadden’s is advertising the event as “a night you won’t remember, but will never forget,” which of course is their way of saying, drink responsibly.

If you’re looking for something to do in case the snow day comes through, the bar is also offering a “Kegs & Eggs” special from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. with $3 beers – and no cover charge with your college ID.