The Avett Brothers show off southern roots at Patriot Center

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Everly Jazi.

Photo used under the Creative Commons License.
The Avett Brothers performing in 2009. Photo used under the Creative Commons License.

The Avett Brothers were barely south of the Maxon-Dixon line, but the bluegrass alt-rock band filled the sold-out Patriot Center on Friday with guitar twangs and rustic sounds that were truly meant for its southern fans.

The North Carolina-based band slowed down its fast-paced and jumpy energy of last fall’s Freefest show for a softer, more passionate performance that spanned multiple albums. Throughout the show, Old Crow Medicine Show showed off its southern roots, with vocalist Ketch Secor telling the crowd he loves being in Virginia as they swooned to songs like “Carry Me Back to Virginia.”

The Avett Brothers said they felt at home in the packed Fairfax, Va. stadium, telling stories about frat houses with “jello shot girls” and small trio performances like “Shame” and “Paranoia in B flat Major.”

The band performed a cover of John Denver’s “Thank God I’m a Country Boy” to a crowd that had already been warmed up by the opening band Old Crow Medicine Show and its famous southern anthem “Wagon Wheel.”

After a few slow but vibrant tracks, the Avett Brothers quickened the pace and people began to swing dance in the aisles while watching Seth Avett do his signature twist jig.

The Avett Brothers showed off its cross-genre musical innovation with its country take on the indie pop Patrick Wolf’s “Idumea,” with Scott Avett singing raspy solo with Kwon’s cello in the background.

One of the biggest performances of the night was “Pretty Girl from Chile.” The Latin song featured bursting vocals, intense guitar strumming, and rhythmic woodblock. At the end a woman’s voice on an answering machine played, the curtain behind stage fell and heavy instrumentation set in.

The Avett Brothers again brought out Old Crow Medicine Show for the encore, ending the night with country bluegrass covers with more harmonica, mandolin, fiddle and banjo.