Your snow day sledding guide

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Ana Cvetkovic.

Courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons user valkyrieh116

While you may be tempted to cuddle up and just watch Netflix, snow days are a chance to relish outdoors. Bundle up in a puffy coat, grab a few friends and hit the slopes of D.C.

Chances are, you probably don’t have a sled with you at school. This is something that a little bit of creativity can help you with. Scavenge for items around your dorm that could help you get down a slope.

Pizza box: That Domino’s box you were about to recycle, or any piece of cardboard could function as a makeshift sled.

Plastic lid: If you can’t find a trash can lid, you could use the lid of a plastic storage container that you or your roommates probably already have.

Shower curtain:  Take down your shower curtain and use it as a protective layer between your body and the snow-covered hills. Trash bags could work too.

Air mattress: That thing you sleep on when your roommate sexiles you is useful in more ways than one. Make sure to avoid any rocks if you want to use it again.

As for sledding hills, D.C. has plenty to offer, both near campus and off the beaten path:

The National Mall is the closest and most obvious option. Although it’s not known for being very hilly, any sort of incline will do.

Capitol Hill has slopes for an adventure farther away, take the Metro to Capitol Hill to help quell your “House of Cards” anticipation.

Rock Creek Park has plenty of slopes. Head to P Street Beach (23rd and P Streets) near Dupont Circle for a thrilling experience.

The Vern has hilly nooks and crannies that would be great for exploring with your ratchet sleds.