Sunday’s best Superbowl parties

Rhino Bar in DC will a Superbowl viewing party this Sunday. Photo courtesy of Rhino Bar.
Rhino Bar in D.C. will a Superbowl viewing party this Sunday. Photo courtesy of Rhino Bar.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Josh Solomon.

Hanging out on campus for the Super Bowl is the field goal equivalent of Superbowl celebrations. Sure it puts points on the board, but it’s clearly a last ditch effort.

If you’re searching for a Super Bowl-watching spot worthy of a Peyton Manning touchdown or a Richard Sherman interception, branch out from your typical Sunday afternoon play. 

Here’s the lowdown on the best places in the district to catch this year’s Superbowl, ranked in terms any serious football fan should understand.

Super Bowl Viewing Party at the Smith Center

The Play: The SA will host students on the Colonials’ home court to air the Super Bowl on the big screens. Plus, free pizza, soda, and free beer if you are over 21. There will sure to be a mix of fans ‘repping their “Omaha” screaming, Broncos-orange shirts while “12s” could be wild with Seahawks-neon green apparel. Drawback? A lot of freeloaders looking for the free food who may not share your undying passion for the game.

The Score: Safety. Two points and possession. A safe choice for sure but  it might not score high it could be a huge momentum shift for a good time.

Smith Center, 6:30 p.m.

The Mighty Pint

The Play: It’s close by and will sure to be loud. Mighty Pint prides itself on a local sports bar vibe, and its regulars include droves of football lovers. You won’t be alone when you’re yelling at the screen. Early bird tickets are available for about $15. The sale ends Feb. 1. Buy tickets that day for about $20.

The Score: Fourth down conversion. It’s a risk, but if you can make it to the in-zone you’re sure to have a great time. Otherwise, the potential let down could be a blow to your wallet.

1831 M St., NW.  5:30 pm, $15 open bar begins

Rhino Bar DC

The Play: The party at Rhino’s should be filled with college kids from GW and Georgetown along with locals looking to celebrate the game. This group of Colonials and Bulldogs might be more interested in watching the ads than the game but no one can celebrate a touchdown better than fellow collegians. There are also deals: the bar will sell 25 cent wings and $10 pitcher specials.

The Score: Touchdown on third and goal at the seven yard line. Sure the walk to Georgetown will be freezing, but really it’s all the better to re-create the sub-arctic temperature at the game in New York.

3295 M St., NW.  No official start time (so get there early)