Get off your bottom: Comedy troupes, the Egyptian Revolution and a post-oil city

Upright Citizens Brigade performs this week in D.C. Photo courtesy of Upright Citizens Brigade.

Hatchet staff writer Margaret Kahn highlights the top cultural events around the District. 

Thursday, Jan. 30: “The Square”

Catch this documentary about the 2011 Egyptian Revolution on its last day in D.C. theaters. The film follows the events of the Arab Spring through the eyes of six very different protesters, adding an intimate human element to the story we thought we already knew.

West End Cinema, 2301 M St. NW. Showings at 2:20 pm, 4:40 pm, 7:20 pm and 9:40 pm. Student price: $9.

Friday, Jan. 31: “A Post-Oil City”

Join a discussion that centers around ecological development in our adopted city and the ambitious and innovative Sustainable D.C. plan unveiled by Mayor Vincent Grey in 2011. The plan aims to make D.C. the nation’s “healthiest, greenest, and most livable city” in the next 20 years

University of the District of Columbia, Architectural Research Institute, 4200 Connecticut Ave. NW. 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 1: Adrift: Laila Abdul-Hadi Jadallah

Palestinian-American photographer Laila Abdul-Hadi Jadallah will speak on her latest exhibit, rich landscapes of Morocco and Turkey she created using in-camera multiple exposures.

The Gallery at Vivid Solutions, 1241 Good Hope Rd. SE. 2 p.m.

Sunday, Feb. 2: Upright Citizens Brigade Touring Company

Start your week with improvisation, sketch comedy and stand-up troupe founded by Amy Poehler that brought the world Rob Corddry, Ed Helms and Rob Riggle. Who knows, you may see the next comedy great in action.

Sixth & I Historic Synagogue, 600 I St. NW. 7 p.m. Price: $20 in advance, $25 day of show.