D.C. tops gayest cities list

Gay marriage supporters outside the Supreme Court last spring. Hatchet File Photo.

This post was written by assistant culture editor Emily Holland.

D.C. has reached peak gayness.

The LGBT magazine The Advocate named D.C. its gayest city in America for 2014, moving ahead of LGBT hot spots like New York City and San Francisco.

D.C. leapt from its No. 4 spot on last year’s list, when The Advocate called it “a queer city on the rise.”

Each year, the magazine’s rankings algorithm changes, allowing for new and unsuspecting cities to top the list. Last year’s gayest city was Tacoma, Wash.

This year’s complicated formula, which includes points for LGBT elected officials, best gay bars and concerts by icons like Lady Gaga and Mariah Carey, helped D.C. move ahead. The Advocate cites D.C.’s 17 elected gay officials and the city’s large gay nightlife as some of the reasons it grabbed the top spot.

The magazine even points to district Republicans, reminding readers to “bring extra Kleenex if you invite [House Speaker John Boehner] over for a Nora Ephron flick on movie night.”

Although the criteria does not include marriage equality laws or Gay Pride festivities, Advocate’s 2014 algorithm aimed to “uncover the hidden factors that give a city its queer cred.” Next year’s formula could continue D.C.’s dominance or give way to a new LGBT mecca.