Five films to watch when you’re snowed in

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Jeanine Marie.

If you’re stuck inside from the snowstorm that blanketed the Northeast this morning — or are just looking for an excuse to stay in bed — these are the films you should be watching, especially if you can use your parent’s cable package.

“The Way, Way Back”

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

This “Little Miss Sunshine”-esque film focuses on the plight of 14-year-old Duncan (Liam James) who is forced to spend the summer in a New York beach town with his mother (Toni Collette) and her odious boyfriend (Steve Carell).

But the true stars of the film are the hodgepodge family Duncan finds himself part of at Water Wizz water park: Caitlin (Maya Rudolph), Roddy (Nat Faxon) and Lewis (Jim Rash) work for the moderately irresponsible, but kind Own (Sam Rockwell). Watch “The Way, Way Back” not just for Rockwell’s laugh-out-loud bits, but Duncan’s quirky neighbors (AnnaSophia Robb, River Alexander, and the hilarious Allison Janney). The film shines as it establishes characters quickly — don’t you know these people? — without trying to do or be too much.
Available on iO On Demand.

“Something in the Air” (Après mai)
The French “Something in the Air” has the cool aesthetic of the 70s and the foreign appeal of the European rebellion. The film begins in 1968 and draws the curtain on civil unrest and youth movements in places beside Kent State.

Director and writer Olivier Assayas delivers a work full of hitchhikers, record stores and candle-lit evenings, fueled by art and the inherent fear of adults — and worse, adulthood — with translations as on point as, “I’m afraid to miss out on everything. I’m afraid to miss out on my youth,” by protagonist Gilles (Clément Métayer).
Available on Netflix Instant.

“Gimme the Loot”

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Director Adam Leon takes the classic Yankees vs. Mets rivalry (albeit only a real rivalry once in a Subway Series) for a spin in this sweet, gang-and-drug-infused film about Malcolm (Ty Hickson) and Sophia (Tashiana Washington), teenage graffiti-schemers and fast-talkers.
Available on Netflix Instant.

“Safety Not Guaranteed”
You may know journalists Jeff (Jake M. Johnson) and Darius (Aubrey Plaza) from “New Girl” and “Parks and Recreation” respectively, but do not be fooled by their small screen recognizability. Self-declared time traveler Kenneth (Mark Duplass) becomes the likable subject of a story for a Seattle magazine, despite his intense paranoia. The blurred lines of journalism and friendship make this indie rom-com somewhat corny, but its poignant comedy and soundtrack make “Safety Not Guaranteed” a solid film any day.
Available on Netflix Instant.

“Frances Ha”

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

The humanities-driven “Frances Ha” comes at a time when English majors are scarce, Brooklyn is a hub of lazy dreamers, and Lena Dunham’s “Girls” has shocked audiences into submission. “Frances Ha” feeds into these facts in black and white, and is often so relatable that it’s uncomfortable. The film is a bit too intent on being artfully crafted, but overall, director Noah Baumbach creates a world 20-somethings could see themselves crawl into, and perhaps stop to give socially awkward Frances a hug.
Available on Netflix Instant.