These five things will make major news at GW in 2014

The Senior Class Gift celebration. Hatchet File Photo

This year wasn’t always kind to GW’s top officials, who dealt with an admissions scandal, slander attacks and a high-profile dean firing. But if those were “growing pains,” as University President Steven Knapp put it last month, then 2014 could be the year when GW’s top goals start to come together.

Here’s a glimpse of what we expect to make big news during the first half of next year:

1. Get your checkbooks out

The University will likely announce its more than $1 billion fundraising campaign by May, which will look to haul in donations for scholarships, professors and pricey buildings over the next several years.

The goal will put GW in line with the rest of its competitor schools, which have outraised GW for decades.

But to make up for GW’s smaller amount of active alumni, officials will have to bring in large gifts to fund the bulk of the campaign. History isn’t on their side. GW’s largest gift in its history was $25 million, whereas just across the river, Georgetown University brought in a $100 million gift towards its campaign this year.

Mayor Vincent Gray. Hatchet File Photo
Mayor Vincent Gray. Hatchet File Photo

2. A fight for the D.C. mayorship

A slew of candidates will look to lock down the D.C. mayorship this April, the date of the Democratic primary in deep-blue D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray joined the candidate pool this month, amid allegations that his 2010 campaign was wrought in scandal.

An investigation into the claims against Gray found that a $650,000 shadow campaign, which passed out umbrellas, t-shirts and yard signs matching the official campaign logos, helped seal his 2010 victory. Gray has continued to deny knowing about the funds and has not been charged.

This year’s pool is filled with four D.C. council members – including Foggy Bottom’s representative Jack Evans, who has had a friendly relationship with Gray over the years.

biz-school-tuition-duques_JE-1
Duques Hall, home of the GW School of Business. Hatchet File Photo

3. Two of GW’s most important colleges are getting new leaders

It’s a busy hiring season for GW’s top brass, as administrators have set out to hire three deans before next fall at the law, business and nursing schools. Searches for deans, who tend to be some of the University’s top-paid employees, are underway and expected to be done by April.

But hiring for the law and business schools will be particularly noteworthy after the high-profile departures of two deans due to public squabbling over budgets and control. Both colleges are two of the most important for GW’s reputation and bottom line, with about $200 million in revenue between them.

The School of Public Health and Health Services, which broke ground in 2012, will open this spring. Hatchet File Photo

4. Groundbreakings, ribbon-cuttings

With more than a half-billion dollars worth of construction projects in the works, a few of those projects will open up this year.

Starting this spring, the School of Public Health and Health Services will be housed in its first building after a $75 million construction project. The $33 million GW Museum – bolstered by the largest gift in GW’s history – is also set to open its doors in the fall.

The University’s next multi-million redevelopment project at 2100 Pennsylvania Avenue will also break ground over the next year, transforming former mom-and-pop restaurants into an 11-story office building that will bring in high-rents and dot the street with pricy retailers.

Isaiah Armwood goes up for  a dunk. Hatchet File Photo
Isaiah Armwood goes up for a dunk. Hatchet File Photo

5. The comeback team

The men’s basketball team could go dancing next year for the first time since 2007 if it keeps winning. That would be a significant boost to the University’s brand overall.

Considered one of the top five teams in the Atlantic 10, the team will push through tough competition starting in January when conference games begin. But getting a bid to the tournament in March will be tough. Keep an eye out for games at the Smith Center and on ESPN.