GW holds off releasing number of early decision acceptances

GW accepted its first round of early decision applicants Thursday, but administrators won’t say exactly how many yet.

After a request from The Hatchet for Early Admissions 1 data, Senior Associate Provost for Enrollment Management Laurie Koehler said in an email that she will release admissions numbers at the end of January to “provide the most complete picture of our applicant pool.

The deadline for Early Decision 2 is Jan. 1 and regular decision is Jan. 15.

“In previous years, Early Decision 1 numbers were released before Early Decision 2 numbers, which gave an incomplete glimpse of the process,” Koehler said, adding that unveiling the numbers together from now on would “create a more coherent and logical data set.”

Koehler said in October that GW expects applications to drop by about 4,000 this year, the first decline in nearly a decade, because all prospective students must now pay the Common Application’s fee of $75.

She also vowed more transparency in the University’s admissions practices after The Hatchet reported that officials had misrepresented its process as need-blind.

The University’s admit rate rose 4 percentage points last year, accepting 41 percent of both rounds of Early Decision applicants. It accepted 586 students of Early Decision 1 students the previous year, or about 37 percent.

Fewer applications this year could mean less selectivity. The University’s admit rate has sat around 33 percent for the last three years.

GW, along with dozens of other schools, pushed back its Early Decision 1 deadline in November after applicants reported glitches in submitting their materials.