29-year-old alumnus, airman found dead in Baltimore harbor

A 29-year-old alumnus who went missing after a night out with friends was found dead in the Baltimore harbor Wednesday.

Evan Curbeam, an airman with the D.C. National Guard who earned his master’s degree from GW in 2010, was last seen around 1:30 a.m. on Saturday, the Baltimore Sun reported.

Curbeam’s family reported him missing Saturday afternoon after he did not pick up his 4-year-old daughter, according to the report.

His friends told police that they had spent the night at a bar in Baltimore’s historic waterfront district, Fells Point, and Curbeam decided to head home around 1:30 a.m., according to CBS Local. They said they watched him walk to his car, which was parked about four blocks away. But officers found the car in the same spot the next day.

After a five-day search effort that included local homicide detectives, his body was recovered during a water search Wednesday afternoon.

A systems engineering specialist, Curbeam served in the air force for two and a half years, according to his LinkedIn. He was recently named Airman of the Year by the D.C. National Guard.

In a statement, the Air National Guard described Curbeam as “a friend, patriot and consummate professional.”

“He will be greatly missed. We extend our deepest sympathy and our hearts out to the family and friends of Evan,” the statement read.