Throwback Thursday: Follies for Fun

Four freshmen women practice dancing in preparation for the all-U follies, Photo courtesy of the George Washington University Archives.
Four freshmen women practice dancing in preparation for the all University Talent Show, Photo courtesy of the University Archives.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Ruby Lee. 

From a capella shows to dance showcases and beyond, GW students participate in plenty of  performances year-around. From Bhangra Blowout to Danceworks, these shows are all run by various student organizations, rather than the University itself. But this wasn’t always the case.

On March 25, 1950, GW hosted the first annual all-University talent Show, known as “Follies for Fun.” It doesn’t get more ’50s than that.

Each class was assembled as a team to compete against one another. Students held hand-made banners and participated in elaborate, organized cheers.

From freshmen to seniors, each class year showed off various skills through skits and other performances. Class competition was a highlight of the event, something that is nonexistent in campus life today.

Although the University doesn’t have class spirit events now, the follies tradition lives on at the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, where overstressed med students take the stage each year to showcase their singing, dancing and musical chops.