What We’re Watching: ‘Kill Your Darlings’

Kill Your Darling promo poster. Photo used under the Creative Common License.

Hatchet reporters Everly Jazi and Max Bracchi share their latest cinematic experience. 

Kill Your Darlings” 2013

★★★★1/2✰

In big white letters, the lethal words appear: “Kill Your Darlings”.

Director John Krokidas takes a hugely complicated literary movement, the Beat Generation, and frames it through a coming-of-age story and the tragic death of David Kammerer.

The film follows Allen Ginsberg (Daniel Radcliffe) as he attempts to balance school, a consuming social life and troubles at home. But, Ginsberg’s ordinary college life is turned upside down when he meets the enigmatic Lucien Carr. Krokidas uses Ginsberg’s relationship with Carr to explore the larger themes of the Beat Generation through a more manageable lens.

As the love-triangle-turned-murder-scene progresses, it becomes immediately evident that the ingenuity of this movie lies not in the banal plot, but rather in the way it’s presented. The audience is taken from musty jazz clubs to idyllic Columbia University to late-night Manhattan streets, and feels part of the action all the way. As Ginsberg gradually comes to accept his homosexuality and sense of self, the audience is overcome with satisfaction, as the question has finally been answered.

The audience won’t leave with buyer’s regret.

Limited Release: Nov. 1 at E Street Cinema

Director: John Krokidas

Genre: Drama/Romance/Suspense

Cast: Daniel Radcliffe, Dane DeHaan (Metallica: Through the Never and The Amazing Spider-Man 2), Jack Huston (Boardwalk Empire), David Cross (Arrested Development), Elizabeth Olsen (Martha Marcy May Marlene), Michael C. Hall (Dexter)