Lafayette Square anti-nuclear protester gets eviction notice

anti-nuclear proliferation vigil in front of the White House. Photo used under the Creative Commons License.
The anti-nuclear proliferation vigil which has sat in front of the White House for 32 years received an eviction notice. Photo used under the Creative Commons License.

This post was written by Hatchet contributing culture editor Olivia Kantor.

While new presidents pass through the White House every few election cycles, the anti-nuclear weapons vigil across the street has stubbornly stood its ground 32 years.

But this longstanding Washington institution might not be camped out in front of Lafayette Square much longer.

The vigil, which consists of  a tent and an array of posters constantly manned by protesters, is organized by a group of activists based at the Peace House at 1233 12th Street, Northwest.

The group was recently served with an eviction notice after failing to pay $13,500 in rent, electric and water bills. Without the house, the future of the vigil is uncertain.

The famed D.C. site faced trouble earlier this year when activists temporarily left the tent unmanned. The U.S. Park Police allow the vigil to remain in place as long as an activist is present; on both September 12th and October 20th, the vigil was unoccupied, forcing the Park Service to shut it down until protesters returned.