Hungry Hippo: A juicy, round burger fit for the Oval Office

Erica Christian | Contributing Photo Editor

This post was written by Hatchet reporter David Harvey.

When you get sick of eating the Whole Foods hot bar, try one of these dishes you brushed past while you were dining out. The Hatchet sets out to find the dishes every GW student should try before they graduate.

Dish #2: The Prez Obama Burger at Good Stuff Eatery

While New Yorkers at GW might moan that D.C. lacks in quality pizza, they fail to realize that D.C. is not a pizza town: It is a burger town. Five Guys and BGR The Burger Joint got their start in here, and now Spike Mendelsohn’s D.C. burger project – Good Stuff Eatery – has turned into a District favorite.

The best burgers are all about the quality of meat, and Good Stuff Eatery’s is grown locally and always fresh. Mendelsohn created the Prez Obama burger ($6.98) was created by Mendelsohn during the 2008 election to compete with the McCain Burger.

The Prez Obama burger fashions smoked applewood bacon cut it up perfectly so it doesn’t poke out of the burger (unlike Bobby’s Burger Palace) or fall out (unlike Burger Tap and Shake), red onion marmalade, Roquefort Cheese, a kind of blue cheese made from sheep’s milk, and a house-made horseradish mayo.

“We chose the toppings for the Prez Obama burger based on what we thought a Chicago guy might want,” Mendelsohn said, adding that his favorite topping is the red marmalade.“It gives the burger the sweetness and tanginess that takes it from ordinary to good stuff.”

To make this an amazing burger experience, try the Spike’s Village Fries ($2.49) which are topped with thyme and rosemary. These fries are perfect for dipping in their many flavored mayonnaise, like my personal favorite, the chipotle pesto mayonnaise.

Still hungry? The Milky Way Malt ($5.45) milkshake has a little chocolate nougat crunch inside, so every few sips you get a pleasant surprise.

While you can’t beat the magic of their original Capitol Hill location, a new location opened in Georgetown – and as an added bonus, will soon start accepting GWorld.