Gray will decide on reelection bid ‘within the next few weeks’

Vincent Gray
Mayor Vincent Gray said he will soon announce whether to jump into a race that already has five other candidates hoping to replace him. Hatchet File Photo

GW alumnus and Mayor Vincent Gray said Friday that he will announce his reelection decision “within the next few weeks.”

“Obviously, the time is becoming compressed,” the mayor said in an interview with Washington Post reporter Mike Debonis on a news show. But Gray would not pinpoint a specific date.

Gray, who has kept quiet as five other candidates have made bids for his seat, remains under a federal investigation for connection to a $650,000 “shadow campaign” during his 2010 election.

“I have said I’ve done nothing wrong from the very beginning. I’m not going to change that position. I see no reason to change that position,” Gray said.

Political analysts have said Gray’s decision will be a key factor in the outcome of the race. Registration for the city’s democratic primary begins in November, and candidates need to gather 2,000 signatures by Jan. 2 in order to get a spot on the April ballot.

Gray would be up against D.C. Council members Tommy Wells, Jack Evans and Muriel Bowser, as well as former State Department official Reta Jo Lewis and local businessman Christian Carter. Evans, who has served as Foggy Bottom’s council member since 1991, amassed the largest war chest this fall and has emphasized his scandal-free reputation in his campaign.

Busboys and Poets owner Andy Shallal announced this week that he was also exploring a possible mayoral bid.