Top 5 dishes from Taste of D.C.

Taste of D.C., an annual festival that draws thousands, shut down parts of Pennsylvania Avenue on Saturday and Sunday. Erica Christian | Contributing Photo Editor

This post was written by Hatchet reporters David Harvey and Ashlyn Frassinelli.

Taste of D.C. is one of the best culinary conventions on the East Coast. Local chefs from the region come together for a day and charge $ 1-3 to sample their dishes. Here are the top five delectable dishes you should check out.

Thai Lamb Curry from Border Spring Farm. Erica Christian | Contributing Photo Editor

1. Thai Lamb Curry from Border Spring Farm: This chili-like sweet yellow curry is complemented by tender lamb that melts in your mouth. It is almost like a soup bahraini, with complex subtle curry flavors such as cumin and ginger. Chef Frank Paris also raises the lamb locally in Patrick Springs, Va.. In addition to the killer curry, the booth also featured  lamb tacos and lamb sliders – the best lamb I have ever had. You can find this lamb at Union Market or Fresh Market at Penn Quarter.

2. Navy Bean Pie from Nutrition Synergies: This is the perfect dish for Thanksgiving. This mini pie is made from a navy bean puree that tastes like pumpkin pie flavored with cinnamon and nutmeg. Chef Nadine Bailey-Joyner sells these in farmers markets across D.C. Believing that fresher is always better, Bailey-Joyner focuses on local sustainable produce and uses only in season produce.

Guacamole from the Guacamole Bar. Erica Christian | Contributing Photo Editor

3. Guacamole from the Guacamole Bar: Guacamole is all about the freshness of the ingredients and this guac didn’t disappoint. It struck the perfect balance between red onions and lime – getting that crunch and sweetness of the onions without the punch. While the dish normally comes with tortilla chips, they used toasted tortilla instead to give the dish a burrito feel.

4. Smoked Gouda and Corn Bread from Olah Bistro: This is great take on your mac’ n’ cheese. The smoked flavor gives the macaroni a kick while the texture of the sweet corn bread provided a strong contrast to  the creamy mac’ n’ cheese. At Olah Bistro’s location on U Street, you can even add Bacon to get more flavor and smoke.

The Cheese and Beef empanada from La Tasca. Erica Christian | Contributing Photo Editor

5.The Cheese and Beef empanada from La Tasca: Empanadas are a classic Latin American street food. These empanadas featured ground beef and cheese in a puff pastry accompanied by a light smoked paprika. The sauce gave it a good tang and the cheese balanced the rest of ingredients without overpowering a dish.