Deadline extended for ‘good neighbor’ orientation

GW has worked to appease Foggy Bottom residents who complain about student behaviors off campus. Hatchet File Photo

Students now have two more weeks to complete an online workshop that teaches students how to be a good neighbor to Foggy Bottom residents.

GW is now asking students to complete the course by Oct. 25 after only a few hundred students completed the course, the University announced Wednesday in a release.

Tim Miller, associate dean of students, said he is hoping that GW can get students to complete the program without turning to sanctions.

“I don’t want to have to punish you and I don’t want to have to give you a treat to do it,” Miller said in an interview. “My hope is to not have to do either.”

Miller stressed that he does not want to resort to registration holds, but added that “everything is an option right now.”

The Center for Student Engagement will send students a second email reminder this week, he said. The course takes about 10 minutes to complete.

It was launched Sept. 30, partly to appease neighbor concerns. It reviews issues from campus safety to parking on campus to the rights and responsibilities of students living off campus.

The slideshow presentation also includes a 70-second video being a good neighbor to other Foggy Bottom residents.

“If we have to email people dozens of times to get them to finally be so annoyed that they fill it out, we’ll do that,” Miller said. “I want every student to learn what they need to know.”