Where to go for pumpkin patches and apple picking

Pumpkins: There are plenty to be found just a short drive outside D.C. Photo used under Creative Commons License.
pumpkins, a gourd traditionally associated with October and Halloween. Photo used under Creative Commons License.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Sandra Loyola.

Pumpkin spice lattes, leaves changing colors and cold air hitting your face in the morning as you walk to class. Eighty-degree days are done. Autumn is officially here and so are fall traditions such as apple picking.

Although you live and take classes in a concrete jungle, that shouldn’t prevent you from engaging in such hallowed pursuits like hay rides or pumpkin picking. Round up a group of friends and rent a Zipcar, and head to these locations, which are under an hour away from the Foggy Bottom area. We suggest you call the farms before making the drive in case of a change in weather conditions and fruit availability.

Butler’s Orchard – 22200 Davis Mill Road, Germantown, Md.

Only 40 minutes away driving, Butler’s Orchard currently has a “pick-your-own” pumpkins deal starting at $.65 a pound. Butler’s Orchard is currently hosting its 33rd Annual Pumpkin Festival, which will be open every weekend of October, plus Columbus Day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $11 per person. Enjoy live music as festival activities range from hayrides, giants slides, a straw maze and feel good fall festival foods such as caramel apples and apple cider donuts.

Homestead Farm – 15604 Sugarland Road, Poolesville, Md.

(301)-977-3761

Homestead Farm is another farm that is under an hour away (50 minutes) from the District. The farm has both “pick-your-own” apples and pumpkins, with apples starting at $1.79 per pound and include Fuji, Cameo, Sun Crisp, Braeburn, Enterprise apples. Pumpkins start at $.59 per pound. “Pick-your-own” hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and the farm is open seven days a week. The farm also has public hayrides on Saturday and Sunday and cost $3 per person.

Stribling Orchard – 3062 Hartland Lane, Markham, Va.

An hour away from campus, Stribling Orchard is for you if you are a hard-core apple fan. At $1.50 per pound there are Golden Delicious, York, Fuji, Granny Smith and many more different kinds of apples to choose from. The orchard is open Tuesday through Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. They also have a bakery where you can buy fresh pies, breads and pastries, as well as their store which sells apple cider, jams, and even honey harvested from their bee hives.