Students organize Pride Rally in response to planned Westboro Baptist Church protest

Students have planned a nonviolent counterprotest just hours after word spread about the Westboro Baptist Church’s plans to picket on the Mount Vernon Campus next week.

The Kansas-based extremist group, known for protesting at military funerals and fiercely opposing gay rights, will head to the Vern on Oct. 11, according to its website.

“America’s youth are woefully Bible ignorant and have been taught by their God-hating parents from the cradle that God is a liar,” its website reads.

A group of students, led by Caroline Gimello and Charlie Cevallos, created a Facebook event called “Pride Rally and Counter-Protest.”

So far, about 50 students have signed up to attend. The student counter-protest will kick off around 3 p.m., about an hour before the Westboro protesters are slated to arrive. The organizers asked students not to promote violence or use “hateful or inappropriate language.”

The Westboro protest – which is meant to dispel a “generation of whores and fags,” according to its site – is part of a citywide tour.

Members will head to GW after picketing outside the Supreme Court, the Senate Office Building and the Pentagon, the schedule shows.

The radical group last came to Foggy Bottom on Veterans Day in 2010, when more than 200 students turned up as part of a counterprotest.

Should students counterprotest? Or ignore the Westboro Baptist Church? Let us know in the comments