First victim of Navy Yard shooting transported to GW Hospital, dead on arrival

Delaney Walsh | Photo Editor
Delaney Walsh | Photo Editor
Director of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery Babak Sarani speaks to media during a press conference Monday morning. GW Hospital received one victim of the Navy Yard shootings. Delaney Walsh | Photo Editor

Updated Sept. 16 at 5:23 p.m.

The first gunshot victim evacuated from the Washington Navy Yard was brought to GW Hospital, the director of trauma and acute care surgery said Monday.

Babak Sarani said the victim, a man in his 60s, was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital between 8:30 and 9 a.m. He died from a gunshot wound to his left temple.

Sarani said emergency responders performed CPR on route to the hospital, but the man’s wounds were “not survivable.” The hospital was prepared to attend to five critically wounded and 20 non-critically wounded patients at most.

“Our staff, operating rooms and physicians stand ready,” Sarani said, adding that he did not know whether more patients would be sent there.

At least 13 people are dead, including one of the shooters who opened fired at the Navy Yard grounds. About a dozen other people were injured.

Shots rang out at about 8:20 a.m. at the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters, the Washington Post reported.

GW announced it would continue to operate normally.

“The University’s Office of Safety and Security continues to monitor this situation and remains in contact with local and federal partners,” read a Safety and Security Alert sent at about 11:20 a.m.

University President Steven Knapp cautioned students to mind their surroundings in a statement released later Monday afternoon.

“We stand ready to help in any way we can,” Knapp wrote about the incident, which took place about five miles from the Foggy Bottom Campus.
– Jeremy Diamond, Brianna Gurciullo and Chloé Sorvino contributed to this report.