Guthrie will reveal his side of firing dispute “with time”

doug_guthrie
Doug Guthrie | Hatchet File Photo

Doug Guthrie, who was fired from two administrative positions two weeks ago, wrote on his Facebook page Monday night that he would reveal details “with time” his version of the dispute.

Guthrie, who led the GW School of Business for three years, did not discuss details of the $13 million the business overspent last year, which led to an irresolvable disagreement with Provost Steven Lerman. But he said he would disclose details after a “period of self-examination and reassessment.”

“With time, I will gain the insight to see beyond this misfortune. And when it is appropriate, I will present my own account of what happened,” Guthrie said.

He wrote that he was testing his “long-held beliefs about the fundamental value of failure” as he tries to move forward as a leader.

Guthrie, who remains at GW as a tenured professor of international business and management, said he hoped to make the transition easy for his family, friends, colleagues and students.

Guthrie spoke to a reporter with the Financial Times last week, and said he was “surprised by the suddenness” of the announcement. He said it was well-known the school would be over-budget and that the school had been investing in online technology as part of its long-term plan.