U Street to get Brooklyn-based flea market this fall

This post was written by Hatchet staff writer Colleen Murphy

U Street is rife with music clubs and vintage clothing stores, but the neighborhood’s metamorphosis to hipster hot spot could be complete this fall with the arrival of a Brooklyn-based flea market.

Aerial view of Brooklyn Flea, a massive outdoor market for antiques and crafts coming to D.C. this September. Photo courtesy of Brooklyn Flea.

The founders of Brooklyn Flea, New York’s massive outdoor market, announced this week that they will be opening a D.C. location on U Street for six Saturdays starting Sept. 14.

The market, which sells locally-made crafts, antiques, vintage clothes, food and drinks opened in New York in 2008 and expanded to a third location in Philadelphia this June. Smorgasburg, Brooklyn Flea’s food market, offers a range of food, from handmade popsicles to maple bacon cupcakes, from over 70 vendors.

It has become an economic engine in New York’s trendiest borough, with The New York Times calling founders Jonathan Butler and Eric Demby “kings of the Brooklyn small-purveyor scene.”

District Flea will sit on 37,000 square feet of land up the street from the 9:30 Club. They are currently accepting vendor applications, and will sell wares from artisans in the District, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York.

The District is already home to Eastern Market and Georgetown Flea Market, both open on Sundays.