Glenn Greenwald, first to report covert surveillance program, is GW alumnus

The National Security Agency is amassing a trove of Americans’ telephone records – and a GW graduate broke the story.

Glenn Greenwald, who reported Wednesday in The Guardian that the federal agency actively compiles phone records of millions of Verizon customers, graduated with a bachelor’s degree from the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences in 1990.

GW alumnus Glenn Greenwald uncovered a top secret government surveillance program Wednesday in The Guardian. Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons

The news story has dominated airwaves and sparked a national debate over the balance between national security responsibilities and individual privacy rights.

Greenwald’s source, former Central Intelligence Agency employee and government contractor Edward Snowden, revealed his identity on Sunday in a filmed interview with Greenwald.

Since the article’s publication, Greenwald appeared Monday on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” and ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos.”

Greenwald, 46, has been listed as one of the most influential pundits in the country, as he has consistently focused on civil liberties issues. He earned his law degree from New York University Law School after GW.

He lives in Brazil with his boyfriend, who was denied permanent residency in the U.S.