Law school ranked No. 31 by prominent legal blog

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Amelia Williams.

The GW Law School earned the No. 31 spot on a ranking published Wednesday by a widely read legal blog.

Above the Law’s first top schools ranking most strongly weighed the percent of employed graduates and the quality of jobs – both indicators of how schools prepared students for the sinking law market.

The Above the Law ranking also considered cost, alumni rating and the number of Supreme Court clerkships and federal judgeships held by alumni, but not GPA, LSAT scores and scholarships. The blog described its approach as “a way to analyze schools using metrics that actually matter.”

“Now more than ever, potential law students should prioritize their future job prospects over all other factors in deciding whether to attend law school,” the blog wrote about its methodology.

About 81 percent of GW’s Class of 2011 found full-time positions nine months after graduation, though that number was hoisted up by the 15 percent of graduates who nabbed law school-funded positions. That compares to 44 percent of law graduates nationally who did not secure work within the legal field, according to Above the Law.

Law schools at New York University, Northwestern University and Georgetown University all ranked above GW on the ranking. Yale Law School topped the list.

GW’s law school is ranked No. 21 by U.S. News and World Report, often viewed as the gold standard in higher education rankings.The National Law Journal also listed the school as one of the top five law schools where students want to change the world in April.