GW, Philadelphia Eagles team up for sports philanthropy program

The GW School of Business teamed up with the Philadelphia Eagles to kick off a sports philanthropy certificate program Wednesday.

The new program, the “first of its kind,” according to a University release, is designed for community service-minded students who want to work with professional sports teams, leagues and athletes.

Students will now take four online courses until September to complete the certificate, learning from industry leaders including the New York Mets Senior Director of Corporate Partnerships Catherine Marquette and Livestrong Executive Vice President of Operations Andy Miller.

“We believe students will truly find value in working with the 12 industry experts who will be teaching the classes and will learn firsthand how businesses can use sports for social good,” Alisha Greenberg, director of the program, said in a release.

The certificate track will focus on how professional sports and athletes can promote service. The courses will be split up into three lessons each, resulting in students learning about 12 different topics, such as fundraising and designing programs.

The NFL team has built up its own philanthropy called the Eagle Youth Partnership, which offers health and educational resources to more than 50,000 children each year. The students are attending the organization’s conference this week, working with other nonprofits, as well as NFL players, to hold programming for Philadelphia-area children.

Business school spokesman Dustin Carnevale did not return requests for comment for further information about the program.