Kappa Sigma clinches on-campus housing

Kappa Sigma, which hosts an annual Shave Away Cancer event, will move into the three-floor Building JJ this August. The University added the building to the Greek housing queue this January. Hatchet File Photo.

Updated: Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:26 p.m.

The Kappa Sigma fraternity, which has nearly tripled in size since fall 2011, was awarded GW’s newest Greek townhouse.

After losing its lease on an F Street townhouse in 2006, Kappa Sigma will move into Building JJ in August. The chapter will occupy the three-floor building’s 28 beds for the next nine years.

“We’re one of the closest brotherhoods on campus,” chapter president Marc Soto said. “Morale has never been higher in our chapter.”

With a growing Greek population, the University allowed sororities and fraternities to apply for Building JJ space in January. An external committee considered between three and four candidates, Center for Student Engagement Tim Miller said, scoring based on chapters’ Greek excellence scores, judicial track record, and an application.

Kappa Sigma handed out 24 bids this weekend during spring recruitment this year, bringing the chapter’s membership up to 113 men. The chapter counted 36 men in spring 2011.

“We’ve proven for the last three years that we don’t need a house in order to get these large pledge classes,” Soto, a sophomore, said. “Having a house on campus will help sustain us, if not help us grow.”

Soto said he hopes to cap his chapter’s membership at about 120 at the end of each academic year.  The chapter will lose 19 seniors graduating at the end of the semester.

But the chapter likely won’t reap all of the benefits of a traditional Greek townhouse – like emblazoning the building with the fraternity’s Greek letters.

“I would expect that letters will not be able to go on the outside of the building,” Miller said, adding that the details had not yet been discussed.

Building JJ previously housed students in sustainability-focused affinity housing groups.