Profile on Style

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Kelsey Renz.

As temperatures cool, GW fashionistas are bundling up with vibrant, statement-piece scarves to tie their together their winter ensembles.

Suzie Oh. Margaret Rajic | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Suzie Oh
Hometown: Richmond, Va.
Year: Graduate student, Class of 2014
Major: Asian studies
Outfit:
Denim jacket, pants, American Eagle; sweater, Hollister; shoes, Steve Madden

If you’re looking to incorporate a variety of colors into one ensemble but aren’t sure how to pull it off, take a cue from Suzie. Her outfit incorporates many shades and textures that aren’t overpowering because the look is tied together with a few key pieces. Her neutral suede boots balance out her otherwise colorful look, transforming the outfit to a balanced and tasteful ensemble. What stood out the most was her mustard yellow knit scarf. The scarf is a true statement piece, adding texture and a floral design while remaining functional for keeping warm. Suzie proves that scarves are versatile, complementary accessories for the looming winter season.

Katy Schaper. Margaret Rajic | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Katy Schaper
Hometown:
Berlin
Year:
2015
Major: Political communication
Outfit: Tights, vintage; sweater, Zara; scarf, Joop; boots, Germany

Katy’s look is a prime example of how an outfit can be both simple and fun. It can be difficult to incorporate tights that are as bold as Katy’s into everyday wear, but she does so effortlessly. Her neutral sweater allows the tights to take center stage, while her cozy maroon scarf plays up the red hues in her tights and keeps the top from appearing too simple. Her scrunched suede booties add yet another playful element to the outfit in the form of texture and design. Her creative look and effortless style is an inspiration to battle the fall weather with vibrant patterns and colors.

Emily Burnaman. Margaret Rajic | Hatchet Photographer

Name: Emily Burnaman
Hometown: Wilton, Conn.
Year: 2016
Major: Chinese
Outfit: scarf, Abercrombie; shirt, Chi Omega; jacket, American Eagle; boots, Urban Outfitters

Emily shone in Kogan Plaza wearing an outfit that was both comfortable for the dropping fall temperatures and versatile enough for the day’s activities. Her black boots stood out for their sleek look as well as for the funky print they displayed when folded down. When paired with a bomber-style jacket in an olive hue, they created a tough yet cozy vibe that was complemented by a signature piece: her colorful striped scarf.  Emily’s scarf tied in well to the cheerful navy and pink colors of her sorority shirt and dressed up the otherwise casual ensemble. Emily’s use of a patterned scarf and boots proves that it possible to stay warm and fashionable this winter without relying on the popular cold weather staples of fuzzy Ugg boots and solid colored knits.