House majority leader calls for political activism among youth

House Majority Leader and alumnus Eric Cantor speaks Thursday on the importance of service and political engagement at an event held in GW Hillel. Michael Boosalis | Hatchet Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Kaya Yurieff

The House majority leader kept a room of about 60 students anticipating his speech about youth engagement in politics for nearly an hour Thursday.

Alumnus Eric Cantor, who was about 50 minutes late to his scheduled appearance at GW Hillel, urged students to get involved in the political realm like he did as an undergraduate.

“You are in the best city in the world, and the best country in the world. You could not be in a better spot. The tools available to you are phenomenal. I encourage you to step up,” Cantor said.

While at GW, Cantor interned at the Congressional office for Virginia’s 7th District – a seat he won in 2001. He has served as the House majority leader since January 2011.

During his 12 minutes at the mic, Cantor encouraged students to use social media for spreading political campaign messages.

“We need your help. We are a country where the power is derived from the people,” he said. “What we’re trying to do in the House of Representatives is to try to help bring your generation into the process of lawmaking and policy making in this country.”

Cantor, the lone Jewish House Republican, was a member of GW Hillel.

Jessica Hoffner, president of the service-focused student organization Challah For Hunger, said the group chose Cantor as a speaker because he is “an advocate for Judaism and Jewish values, which include social justice.”

Hoffner founded the 60-member group in October to raise money for hunger and disaster relief by selling homemade Jewish bread called challah. In the last three months, the group has raised nearly $1,000.

She said Cantor’s activities on the Hill put him behind schedule.

University President Steven Knapp, who walked in with Cantor, said GW’s chapter of Challah for Hunger was part of “a very inspiring national organization.”

Cantor made headlines this morning when he dodged questions from POLITICO’s Mike Allen, who asked Cantor whether he had observed any anti-Semitism in Congress. Cantor did not reference the encounter during his speech.