Volunteers spruce up community sites in first Veterans Day of Service

Veteran and George Mason University student Walter Sweeney splashes a fresh coat of paint Saturday onto the walls of the Zion Baptist Church of Eastland Gardens as part of GW's Veterans Day of Service. Michael Boosalis | Hatchet Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Silverio Ramirez.

More than 100 military members and supporters gathered Saturday to hear from speakers and volunteer in four communities across the District for the University’s first Veterans Day of Service.

The event was coordinated by the Office of Veterans Services, which oversees the University’s 900 student veterans, and the Center for Civic Engagement and Public Service.

Sophomore and U.S. Navy veteran Ivan Mogensen was one of about a dozen volunteers at Zion Baptist Church of Eastland Gardens in Northeast D.C.

“The veteran community is trying to reach out to the general community and we’re proud people came out for it,” Mogensen said.

Mogensen joined other students from GW, as well as colleges and organizations from across the District, to pick up trash, coat walls with fresh paint and plant flowers.

The church’s pastor Keith Kitchen said even two hours of service performed throughout the day would make a difference to his parishioners.

“When people see something visual, it changes perception, and a change in perception creates action,” Kitchen said.

He hoped the revived church exterior would spur involvement from the local community as well.

“I am so impressed by the energy and commitment from GW. I’m glad the idea of commitment and service is still alive in young people,” Kitchen said.

Morgan Sachs, service projects associate for The Mission Continues, said volunteering helps former military members transition back into life in the U.S.

“We want to challenge veterans to serve and lead in communities across America,” Sachs said. “Our goal is to bridge the gap between being in the service and becoming a civilian.”

The event kicked-off the Veteran Service Initiative, an effort to link student veterans and community service opportunities run by the Center for Civic Engagement and Public Service and the Office of Veteran Services.

This post was updated on April 17, 2012 to reflect the following:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that GW Vets coordinated the event. While the group participated, the event was coordinated by the Center for Civic Engagement and Public Service and the Office of Veteran Services.