Islam Awareness Week celebrates religion with expanded venues

Imam Shaker Elsayed spoke to students during an ice cream event during last year's Islam Awareness Week. Hatchet File Photo.

The Muslim Student Association expanded its annual Islam Awareness Week this year to include more conversational panels and a decreased focus on Islam in America since Sept. 11.

Sophomore and association president Raneem Rajjoub said the group worked with other faith-based organizations to create a diverse schedule meant to address common misconceptions, raise awareness and allow for education about Islamic religious customs.

School of Media and Public Affairs professor Steven Roberts will address Islam’s portrayal in the media Monday, a panel will discuss Shari’ah law Tuesday and students can explore the religious and cultural reasons for hijabs on Wednesday. On Thursday, a group will host an interfaith panel discussion. The week will culminate Saturday with a service event to assemble hygiene kits to send to Africa.

“It’s more, this is who we are and you can accept us or not but this is actually what the religion is about,” senior and MSA vice-president Samah Beg said. “I feel like everyone is trying to learn more about other faiths because every time I meet someone from a different faith, like a Hindu or a Christian or Jewish person, they will always ask something and then I will ask something.”