Horticulturalists predict cherry blossoms’ peak bloom

The National Cherry Blossom Festival, typically a two-week celebration, will last one month this year to honor the 100-year anniversary of Japan's gift to the District. Hatchet File Photo

National Park Service horticulturalists predicted that the city’s cherry blossom trees will hit peak bloom a week after students return from spring break.

This year’s bloom schedule outlines March 24 to 31 as the peak period – when 70 percent or more of the flowers are open – for the National Cherry Blossom Festival, celebrating its centennial with a five-week lineup of events.

Japan gifted the blooming trees, planted along the Tidal Basin and Jefferson Memorial, to the District in 1912. The festival has in other years been a two-week affair.

Mayor Vincent Gray expects the month-long festival to draw in $200 million for the District next year, according to the Washington Business Journal. This is higher than the average $126 million the activities usually garner.

An opening ceremony to kick off the festival’s centennial is scheduled for March 25. The second annual Blossom Kite Festival will take place March 31 and the annual parade of floats, balloons and marching bands will progress April 14 down Constitution Avenue.