“Taste of Africa” celebrates African culture

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Meagan Murphy.

GW’s African Student Association brought African culture to life Saturday at the annual “Taste of Africa” event, hosted in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom.

With the help of guest speakers and colorful performances, the event showcased the evolution of African culture through this year’s theme, “Bridging the Gap: Connecting the Past to the Present.”

The night opened with a skit, which was followed by a traditional African drum performance by local musician Jali-D. A fashion show featured student models wearing vibrant African dresses and the musical talents of guitarist Seph Ade and rappers Jay Cube and Psean animated the crowd.

“[Tonight’s meant] to show a mix in the culture, listen to some substantive lyrics and hopefully enjoy the beats and the rhythms,” Jali-D said.

Ngozi Nmezi, executive director of the D.C. Mayor’s Office on African Affairs, spoke about the challenges faced by African immigrants in the D.C. area as well as the many resources Mayor Vincent Gray’s office seeks to provide for them.

Chantelle Abdul, managing partner at TEG Media Group, spoke about the abundant resource potential and entrepreneurial spirit that is waiting to be harnessed in Africa.

African Student Association President Oluwasikemi Epemolu looked to the future of Africa, calling attention to the strength, unity and pride that characterize its people.

“This is a celebration of African culture and the beauty of our culture,” said Epemolu.