What We’re Listening To

Hatchet reporter Julie Alderman shares her latest musical obsessions.

Otis
Jay-Z and Kanye West

This track off the wildly successful “Watch the Throne” is nominated for a Grammy for a reason. “Otis” has a completely different feel compared to the rest of the album. The rappers are both at the top of their game in this song, paying homage to Otis Redding by sampling his 1966 song “Try a Little Tenderness.” The sample adds an unusual touch to the song, which may take some getting used to for listeners. After listening to the entire album, which is one of my personal favorites, “Otis” is one song that stands out above the rest.

Ellie Goulding. Photo courtesy of Wikimedia user Brandonjay under the Creative Commons License.

Jolene
Ellie Goulding (Dolly Parton cover)

Ellie Goulding is known for her hits like “Lights” and “Guns and Horses,” but this cover of the classic Dolly Parton song is a unique pleasure from the British songbird. The emotional clarity Goulding puts into the vocals is unparalleled. Her voice is strong during the verses but vulnerable when she hits high notes in the bridge. Many others have covered this song, including The White Stripes and Keith Urban, but Goulding’s rendition is a sweeter melody that’s perfect for studying.

Room @ the End of the World
Matt Nathanson

After Matt Nathanson’s show at the 9:30 Club this past September, I have not been able to keep this song out of my head. The lyrics are exceptionally beautiful like any other Nathanson tune, and the melody is just as lovely. Of course, Nathanson’s voice provides the perfect compliment to this winning combination. Off his new album “Modern Love,” Nathanson convinces us to go with him if the rapture ever does come. And to be honest, I’m definitely not against the idea.