“Beyond Therapy” opens Generic Theatre’s spring season

Things get tense for Bruce, played by sophomore David Chamberland, while on his first date with Prudence, played by sophomore Caitlin Simpson. Becky Crowder | Hatchet Staff Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Karolina Ramos.

Facing relationship problems? Experiencing difficulties with self-expression? Perhaps it’s time to seek therapy.

Then again, the experiences portrayed in last night’s showing of “Beyond Therapy,” Generic Theatre Company’s spring season-opening production, might make you think otherwise.

The directorial debut of senior Zack Shelton, “Beyond Therapy” chronicles the comically volatile relationship between good-hearted but emotionally mercurial Bruce, played by sophomore David Chamberland, and stoic, independent Prudence, played by sophomore Caitlin Simpson.

“[My] character is what everyone is afraid of becoming,” Simpson said.

Each guided by therapists wrought with personal issues of their own, Bruce and Prudence combat turbulent uncertainty about sexual orientation, intuitive inner desires and, hilariously, the legitimacy of their counselors.

The show’s outrageousness is further punctuated by radical portrayals of an unstable, borderline bipolar gay lover and a hippie therapist with a penchant for stuffed animals. But the play’s extreme context delivers a humbling message.

“One should take him or herself less seriously,” Shelton said.

Shelton, who took a hiatus from theater upon entering college, said the show is of great significance to him.

“This show inspired me to get back into theater,” said Shelton, who hopes the show attracts GW students interested in exploring the dramatic arts.

Sophomore Matt Nickley, who nabbed the role of Stuart just days before opening night, said one of the show’s universal themes is apparent in his on-stage persona.

“We’re all crazy,” Nickley said. “Be content. Stop looking for happiness when you find it in everyday life.”

“Beyond Therapy,” written by American playwright Christopher Durang, will show tonight and Saturday at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. at Lisner Downstage. Admission is $5.