What We’re Watching

Hatchet reporter Roxanne Goldberg shares her latest movie experience.

My Week With Marilyn” (2011)

Photo used under Creative Commons License.

Marilyn Monroe stole the hearts of millions during her short career, and Michelle Williams brings the bewitchingly beautiful and broken actress back to life alongside an equally spellbinding cast in “My Week With Marilyn.”

The film is set in 1956, when Marilyn Monroe (Michelle Williams) comes to England to shoot “The Prince and the Showgirl” with the film’s director and co-star, Sir Laurence Olivier (Kenneth Branagh), and seasoned actress Dame Sybil Thorndike (Judi Dench).

Colin Clark (Eddie Redmayne), a 23-year-old Oxford graduate, also joins the crew. Determined to become a part of the movie business, his only solace from an overbearing family of high achievers, Clark is given the title of third assistant director on Olivier’s latest romantic comedy. There, he meets the world’s most mystifying sex icon.

When Marilyn’s recent husband and American playwright Arthur Miller (Dougray Scott) leaves England to visit his children and take a break from his new wife, Marilyn takes an interest in the charming assistant and the unlikely duo embark on a week of intimate escapades.

Adapted from Clark’s 1995 memoir of the same name, “My Week With Marilyn” is a behind-the-scenes look into the true Marilyn Monroe from the eyes of a naive, star struck young man and his supposedly romantic week with the world’s most sought after woman.

Williams is striking as Marilyn, portraying the actress’ insecurities and vulnerabilities, along with her beauty and star presence. Moviegoers will be absolutely awe-struck watching Williams embody the woman the queen of England describes in one scene as “the most famous woman in the world.”  From her most private moments to her on-camera performances, Williams resurrects the tragic actress at the height of her fame.

Branagh as the stringent Sir Laurence Olivier is captivating, flawlessly capturing the frustrations shared among the cast and crew members of “The Prince and the Showgirl” when Marilyn arrives on set hours late and insists on having her protective acting coach, Vivien Leigh (Julia Ormond) on hand at all times. Olivier’s own insecurities shine through as he works with Marilyn, advising the young Clark, “A woman can break your heart at any age.”

Genre: Drama
Director: Simon Curtis
Cast: Michelle Williams, Eddie Redmayne, Kenneth Branagh
Release Date: Nov. 25