Security measures for Obama visit to shut down streets, relocate classes

President Barack Obama 2010
President Barack Obama spoke at GW last year in the Marvin Center where he encouraged young voters to mobilize before the midterm elections. File photo

The University will relocate a half-dozen classes and shut down streets surrounding the Jack Morton Auditorium for the campus visit of President Barack Obama and a group of celebrities Thursday morning in a ONE Campaign event.

Vehicular traffic will not be permitted from about 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. along 21st Street between I and H streets as well as H Street from 21st to 20th streets. Street parking will be prohibited and pedestrians will be restricted access to portions of H Street from the CVS entrance until the corner of 20th Street during the same time period.

The event, called “The Beginning of the End of AIDS,” will start at 10 a.m. Panelists include Obama, Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., U2 lead singer Bono and Alicia Keys in person and Bush, former President Bill Clinton, President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete of Tanzania via satellite.

The parking garage for the Media and Public Affairs building will be closed between 6:00 a.m. and 6:15 a.m. and again between 9:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. Those parking at the garage between 6:15 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. must go through a security checkpoint at the garage’s entrance.

People looking to enter the building from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. and again between 9:30a.m. until 10:45 a.m. will face restricted access. Students will be allowed entrance up until 9:35 a.m.

With the exception of seven classes, those beginning at 9:35 a.m. and after will resume as usual in the MPA building.

The following classes are being moved from MPA to other locations:

Classes normally located in MPA 208:
9:35 a.m.- 10:50 a.m., University Writing, new location: 1957 E 211
11:10 a.m.- 12: 25 p.m., Beginning Arabic I, new location: GELM 608

Classes normally located in MPA B01:
8:00 a.m. – 9:15 a.m., Intro to Newswriting and Reporting, new location: Duques 250
9:35 a.m.- 10:50 a.m., Intro to Newswriting and Reporting, new location: OM 312
11:10 a.m.- 12:25 p.m., Intro to Newswriting and Reporting, new location: COR 111

Classes normally located in MPA B07:
9:35 a.m.- 10:50 a.m., Environmental Geology, new location: Marvin Center Grand Ballroom
11:10 a.m.- 12:25 p.m., Media in a Free Society, new location: 1957 E 113