Obama, Bush to speak at GW Thursday

President Barack Obama 2010
President Barack Obama spoke at GW last year in the Marvin Center where he encouraged young voters to mobilize before the midterm elections. File photo

Updated: Wednesday at 4:31 p.m.

President Barack Obama and former President George W. Bush will speak at a ONE Campaign event in the Jack Morton Auditorium, the White House announced Monday.

The event, called “The Beginning of the End of AIDS,” will be Thursday at 10 a.m.

Panelists will include Obama, Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., U2 lead singer Bono and Alicia Keys in person and Bush, former President Bill Clinton, President Jakaya Mrisho Kikwete of Tanzania via satellite.

User-submitted questions will be streamed from YouTube with an unannounced moderator leading the discussion.

Tickets will not be available to the public, with student tickets going to the executive board of the GW ONE Campus Challenge. The University announced security measures for the event Wednesday, with plans to relocate a half-dozen classes and shut down streets surrounding the venue.

Other panelists include: Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif., Patricia Nkansah-Asamoah, the director of PMTCT Clinic at Tema Hospital in Accra, Ghana, Florence Ngobeni, an HIV educator and ambassador for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation and Kay Warren, the  founder of the HIV & AIDS Initiative.