What We’re Listening To

Fleet Foxes. Photo courtesy of Mark Jeremy under the Creative Commons License.

Hatchet reporter Devin Schwent shares her latest musical obsessions.

Helplessness Blues
Fleet Foxes

Not gonna lie – this song moves me to tears. The Fleet Foxes nail it on “Helplessness Blues,” the band’s second full-length album released May 3. The title track is a beautiful ode to pastoral imagery and the desire for a simpler life. Singer and songwriter Robin Pecknold said on the band’s website that much of the music on the album draws influences from popular music and folk rock of the mid 60s to the early 70s. This sound is evident in “Helplessness Blues,” and the folk band from Seattle has successfully mesmerized me again.

Still Life
The Horrors

A British band emerging with energy in the post-punk revival is making a name for itself in the United States. I saw The Horrors perform at the Black Cat a few weeks ago and when they played “Still Life,” the crowd became entranced. It’s a five-minute tribute to slowing down during chaotic times with an addicting hook and a synthesizer that adds color to the beat. Lead vocalist Faris Badwan knows how to put on a show and “Still Life” sounds just as good on the album, “Skying,” which was released July 11.

Future Starts Slow
The Kills

If there’s one rock song that immediately puts me in a great mood, this is the one. The melody takes me to London, with crowded parties and great times with close friends. The stomping drums throughout give the song a unique character, and Alison Mosshart’s infecting vocals are as solid as ever. Take a listen to this track, from the album “Blood Pressures” released April 4.