WRGW hosts open mic night

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Ana Cvetkovic.

WRGW, open mic, colombian square, j street, marvin center, Jordan Morrisey
Sophomore Jordan Morrisey (center) performs at the open mic event hosted by WRGW in Colombian Square in the Marvin Center Thursday night. Elise Apelian | Hatchet Photographer

Budding artists showcased their talents Thursday night in front of a welcoming crowd at J Street’s Metro Diner.

“Do you know that moment when music becomes more than sounds?” graduate student Abhik Saha asked the audience.

He and guitarist Trey Kulp represented their improvisational group – Straight Up Tribal – at WRGW’s Live at the Diner open mic night.

“It’s really about harnessing the moment in a very tangible way,” Saha said, who used his whole body as an instrument of expression.

The event showcased performers of eclectic talents, including acoustic sets, tribal drums, a poetry recital and an electronic performance by Winston Berg, a sophomore studying international affairs.

Berg, whose stage name is HVZEL, pronounced “hazel,” played a three-song set that was well received by the audience.

“What I do is I compose all the music on my computer on a software called REAPER, and that’s straight up linear composition. I slice the different tracks of the song into tiny little pieces, which I can then recombine on the fly during the song to create all those cool glitchy noises,” Berg said.