What We’re Watching

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Arich Morales.

In Time” (2011)

Photo used under the Creative Commons License.

Imagine a world where no one ages past 25 years old. Time has become currency and with enough wealth, anyone can live forever.

Directed and written by Andrew Niccol, “In Time” follows the story of Will Salas (Justin Timberlake), a poor factory worker who is falsely accused of murder after being discovered in possession of a century’s worth of time – a futuristic method of buying your way out of death.

In the film, Will lives with his mom (Olivia Wilde) in an impoverished area where no one has much time left. A digital clock engrained into their arm serves as a constant reminder of the short lives they have before them.

But through a series of tragic events, Will decides to flee to the city with a plan to bring down the system. It is then that he meets Sylvia Weis (Amanda Seyfried), the daughter of a prominent multi-billionaire and later Will’s partner in crime. Together, the two carry out some small heists, leading up to an unimaginable theft. They find themselves on the run from the government and local mobsters with a personal vendetta.

“In Time” follows the classic motif of class struggle between the rich and the poor. It’s a futuristic twist on the Robin Hood tale we all know and love.

Despite its predictable plotline and a cheesy final showdown oddly reminiscent of arm wrestling, the film provides healthy entertainment for any type of viewer.

Overall, “In Time” presents an interesting and fresh concept that integrates themes of capitalism and class struggle into a futuristic setting with plenty of action-packed scenes and suspense. It may not be the next work of genius, but it’s a fun film you won’t want to miss.

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Director: Andrew Niccol
Cast: Justin Timberlake, Amanda Seyfried, Olivia Wilde, Cillian Murphy
Release Date: Oct. 28