What We’re Listening To

Hatchet reporter Priyanka Pardasani shares her latest musical obsessions.

Rihanna
Rihanna. Photo courtesy of Eva Rinaldi under Creative Commons License.

We Found Love
Rihanna ft. Calvin Harris

Scottish singer-songwriter, DJ and producer Calvin Harris has done it again. After releasing mind-blowing singles like “Bounce” and “Feel So Close,” the dance music mastermind teamed up with pop sensation Rihanna to produce her newest single, “We Found Love.” The track has a catchy, upbeat melody that will surely be stuck in your head for days. The lyrics are not the most insightful and can get a bit repetitive, but “We Found Love” is the perfect song to get everyone pumped up for the weekend or just an awesome pick-me-up for a bad day.

Houdini
Foster the People

Foster the People is an American Indie band from Los Angeles that hit the mainstream after the success of their first single, “Pumped Up Kicks.” It’s probably safe to say most of us had this song stuck in our heads all summer because of its sheer catchiness. “Houdini,” though, brings a completely different sound that highlights the electronic element to Foster the People’s music. The second half of the song incorporates the trumpet and snippets of Mark Foster’s voice, which rounds off the melody nicely.

Float On
Cities Aviv

Cities Aviv is a rapper from Memphis, Tenn. who doesn’t always get the attention he deserves. The track “Float On” has a long history, dating back to when Modest Mouse originally released it in 2004. Blackbird Blackbird produced an electronic cover of the track in 2010, which Cities Aviv was so inspired by that he decided to rap over it. I would describe the song as a slow jam with a dubstep feel, and the fact that Cities Aviv is a pretty decent rapper doesn’t hurt. This tune is one you’ll be jamming to on a Sunday night to calm you down before another crazy hectic week of classes. Cities Aviv proves he is definitely an artist to look out for.