Women’s basketball picked to finish ninth in A-10

Danni Jackson, women's basketball
Junior guard Danni Jackson, driving to the net last season, will return to the court for a Colonials squad that head coach Mike Bozeman said is prepared to make a comeback. File Photo

The Atlantic 10 announced the results of its preseason poll today, picking GW ninth of 14 teams, with 73 points.

Dayton and Temple, both 2011 NCAA Tournament teams, tied for first place with 189 points. Duquesne was next with 159, followed by Charlotte, Saint Joseph’s, St. Bonaventure, two-time defending A-10-champion Xavier and Richmond. The Colonials finished ahead of Massachusetts, La Salle, Fordham, Rhode Island and Saint Louis.

“Everybody’s working really, really hard. They’re excited about being healthy and trying to showcase their skills,” head coach Mike Bozeman said. “That’s the big thing. They’re excited about the opportunity to finally get on the court.”

GW went 8-21 last year, posting a 3-11 record in league match-ups and tying for 11th in the conference. The Colonials return four starters and six of last season’s top-scorers, including junior guard Danni Jackson, who led GW with 10.4 points per game.

The Colonials dive into their challenging non-conference schedule Nov. 8, when they host UDC in an exhibition game before heading to UT Arlington Nov. 13.

For a more extensive season preview, including additional comments from Bozeman, pick up tomorrow’s Hatchet.