GW set to scrimmage Maryland

Then-senior Mike Hall goes up against a Maryland defender in the 2005 BB&T Classic. Hall was an A-10 preseason first team pick that year, and the Colonials went on to travel to the NCAA tournament before falling in the second round to Duke. | File Photo

The men’s basketball team will square off against Maryland in a preseason, closed-door scrimmage, CBSSports.com reported today.

The Colonials will travel to face the Terrapins Oct. 30. Maryland went 19-14 last year and takes the court a relatively inexperienced squad, with just seven returning players joining with eight rookies, including six walk-ons.

The team also shares an important quality with GW: a first-year head coach. Mark Turgeon, the former head coach at Texas A&M, will be on the sidelines, taking over from recently retired 22-year head coach Gary Williams.

The scrimmage will be a return to familiar grounds for GW head coach Mike Lonergan, who was an assistant coach for the Terrapins under Williams during the 2004 to 2005 season. That year, Lonergan helped coach Maryland to a semifinal appearance in the 2005 NIT.

The Colonials face off against Bowie State in an exhibition match Nov. 6 at 6 p.m. and then officially open the season when they host UMES Oct. 11 at 7 p.m.