Community service leader leaves post

Shannon Donahue
Shannon Donahue paints a door at Ballou High School as part of the Law School Day of Service last year. Courtesy of William Atkins | The George Washington University

The coordinator of the Freshmen Day of Service and Alternative Breaks programs will leave the University next week for a position at a consulting firm in the District.

Shannon Donahue announced her resignation at a staff meeting Wednesday morning.

“I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to develop, create and maintain very exciting and meaningful projects all of which are near and dear to my heart,” Donahue said in an interview later. “It will be difficult for me to walk away from these projects but I am confident they will be successful under the leadership of the Center for Civic Engagement and Public Service.”

Donahue joined the Office of Community Service in fall 2008, when she began pursuing a graduate degree from GW. She earned her master’s in higher education administration in 2011.

Amy Cohen, executive director of the service office, said the University will “immediately” work to fill the position.

“In the meantime, Center for Civic Engagement staff and student staff will support the programs,” she wrote in an e-mail.

Donahue will assume the post of Senior Communications Associate atĀ Reingold, Inc., – a firm GW once employed.

The University hired the firm in the early 2000s to ease strife with the Foggy Bottom community, resulting in the “Grow Up Not Out” campaign.

The Hatchet incorrectly reported Donahue received a master’s degree from GW’s clinical mental health counseling in 2010. She received a master’s degree in higher education administration in 2011.