What We’re Listening To

Hatchet reporter Hayley Woodford shares her latest musical obsessions.

Gavin DeGraw

Not Over You
Gavin DeGraw

Gavin’s new album is my go-to music in the mornings before my 9:35 class. To get a good sense of the strong, soulful vocals that are characteristic of DeGraw, check out this hit from the album released Sept. 20, “Sweeter.” It has more of a pop feel than some of his more guitar-based music, but it offers fans a healthy mixture of DeGraw’s piano rhythms and the voice we all know and love.

She Is
Ben Rector

Never heard of Ben Rector? Think Jack Johnson meets Eric Hutchinson. The singer and songwriter’s latest album, “Something Like This,” was released Sept. 13. “She Is” is a song for the ladies who are having a not-so-great day and need a confidence booster. With midterms coming up, I’m sure my roommates will be hearing this track on repeat. The lyrics praise a beauty that is made up of a little bit of everything, and the words work to give the song a light yet meaningful message. There isn’t a girl on campus that won’t wish Rector had written a song about her.

Drown
Carolina Liar

I was originally a little skeptical of Carolina Liar, having only heard two of their most popular songs. But this summer I went to a free concert they held at Universal Studios Hollywood, and I was blown away. Most of the band is from Sweden, but lead singer Chad Wolf is originally from South Carolina. This gives the band a unique, European vibe but also an American alternative style. “Drown” is the hit single off their new album, “Wild Blessed Freedom,” released Sept. 27. All in all, the band is really talented, and this new song brings the upbeat emotion that should be expected from rock music.