What We’re Watching

Hatchet reporter Roxanne Goldberg shares her latest movie obsession.

Drive” (2011)

Like the perfect pair of driving gloves, “Drive” is sleek, sexy and just a tad bit dirty.

Ryan Gosling plays the perfect antihero – reclusive mechanic by day, meticulous getaway driver by night. Though emotionally withdrawn, Gosling falls for the charming but dejected Irene (Carey Mulligan), who unknowingly pulls him into a gory entanglement meant to help her ex-convict husband, Standard (Oscar Isaac). After a simple pawn shop heist goes wrong, Driver finds himself involved with a host of dangerous criminals led by Nino (Ron Perlman), who want much more than just his head. In a surprisingly calm effort to save Irene and her innocently lovable son, Driver embarks on a series of bloody battles, fighting with both his hands and – you guessed it – his car.

The opening scene of “Drive” transports the viewer into the passenger seat with Gosling in a high-speed chase. The deafening sound of the engine and the background noise of a police radio make the whole experience almost too realistic. And this is all before the opening credits.

“Drive” takes its time, building anticipation before the action of the opening scene is revisited. For those patient enough to watch, and sometimes gawk at, Gosling’s tantalizing silence lures the always charming Mulligan through the first half of the film. “Drive” is an exciting adventure that puts you right in the driver’s seat, holding on for the ride.

Be forewarned though, for those hoping for a typical car movie, “Drive” will seem to drag. While the first half may be tedious, my advice is to just be patient. With the help of a brilliant soundtrack featuring Kavinsky, College, Chromatics and Cliff Martinez, the thrill buildup will explode as the dialogue returns and the blood begins to spurt.

Genre: Drama, Action, Crime
Director: Nicolas Winding Refn
Starring: Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Bryan Cranston
Released: Sept. 16