Fraternity celebrates anniversary with housewarming celebration

Kappa Alpha Psi President Kwasi Agyeman cuts the ribbon at the fraternity's townhouse opening. Francis Rivera | Assistant Photo Editor

This report was written by Hatchet reporter Jen Wolfe

Thirty years after Kappa Alpha Psi was established at GW, chapter President Kwasi Agyeman was finally able to call a a townhouse home.

Four members of the Multicultural Greek Council fraternity Kappa Alpha Psi moved into a new townhouse on F and 22nd streets this summer through an arrangement with GW Affinity Housing. The townhouse was vacated after the fraternity living there moved to a house on Townhouse Row.

“It gives us a single place,” Kappa Alpha Psi member Philip Reynolds said. “We’re very cool with all the
other multicultural organizations on campus. By no means is this just a Kappa house.”

The historically African-American organization formed a chapter in the District in 1981, 70 years after the national organization was founded at Indiana University, amidst
 racial segregation and violent bigotry.

Unlike other Greek organizations on campus, Kappa Alpha Psi is a city-wide group,
 comprising students from GW, Georgetown and American universities.

To celebrate the chapter’s 30th anniversary, the fraternity brothers hosted “Kappa Week,” 
a seven-day celebration of philanthropic and social events where their new
house transformed into a common meeting place.

“It’s been great, meeting new people with the house,” Kappa Alpha Psi member Lenworth James said. “If you’re sitting outside eating, sitting outside talking, they look up and they hear music and they want to talk to you.”

Looking back on reaching the 30-year mark, Agyeman says the chapter has grown significantly, as several new regional chapters have also been founded. Other key initiatives like founding Kappa League, a mentoring program for kids in D.C., and partnering with St. Judes Children’s Research Hospital have begun, Agyeman said.

The tight-knit group living in the house and its bonds with other members across the D.C. community keep it linked to the chapter’s alumni. Agyeman described being in constant contact with the chapter’s founders.

“We’re a family,” James said. “Even though we’re a four-campus chapter, we’re always together even if it’s just watching football or just playing games or just going to the mall.”

Director of Greek life Christina Witkowicki said this is not the first house for a Multicultural Greek Council member but did not return further requests for comment.