What We’re Listening To

Deerhoof will perform at 9:30 Club Oct.1. Photo used under the Creative Commons

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Karolina Ramos.

Here are some songs from bands whose shows you won’t want to miss this fall.

Panda Panda Panda
Deerhoof

Leave it to Deerhoof to explore the musical realm of the bizarre and raw. If you’re seeking lyrical genius, “Panda Panda Panda” isn’t the answer. There’s no groundbreaking Bob Dylan-esque lyricism to be found in the impressively juvenile repetition of the word “panda.” What can be found is an edgy, catchy guitar riff with the intimate style of a garage recording that retains the refined clarity of studio sound. Eclectic and fresh, the piece climaxes with a burst of energy, treating the listener to an unabashed, frenzied guitar solo. It’s this kind of refreshing spontaneity, uniqueness and bold experimentalism that makes the world of grunge-pop so entertaining and that ultimately draws me to Deerhoof again and again.

Oct. 1 at the 9:30 Club; $15. Openers: Benjy Ferree and the Dees, E.D. Sedgwick

White Winter Hymnal
Fleet Foxes

In celebration of the nearing cold, “White Winter Hymnal” has resounded in my ears daily. The piece is like a mesmerizing lullaby, a hypnotic mantra of sorts, entertaining far more for the visual imagery it provides than for any lyrical profoundness. A slight departure from Fleet Foxes’ typical style – think Mumford and Sons minus the banjo – “White Winter Hymnal” serves as a respite from overdone riffs and melodies. Its sound is simplistic but not lacking in musical aptitude. In fact, the song exemplifies the moving power of minimalism. It may not employ big sound or diverse instruments, but the explosiveness of expression after the first chorus is just as inspiring and exciting as any catchy radio hook.

Sept. 23 @ Merriweather Post Pavilion; $25-40. Opener: The Walkmen

Rope
Foo Fighters

When I first heard “Rope,” it evoked nostalgia for the Foo Fighter’s earlier albums, implementing the band’s signature heavy guitar riffs and genius bridges that catch you off guard. But “Rope” is a reflection of the Foo Fighter’s entire catalogue, a matured breed of their distinctive style and a testament to the notion that rock music doesn’t have to be diluted to mainstream pop in order to remain relevant. This is not only the kind of Foo Fighters fans want, but also the kind they deserve. While “Rope” is a polished indication of the band’s musical progress, it’s familiar enough to remind listeners why they love Foo in the first place.

Nov. 11 @ Verizon Center; ; $37+. Openers: Social Distortion, The Joy Formidable